The Centre holds about 1.5 million records on individuals who were natives of the historic County of Armagh. Armagh's prosperity in the 18th century is attested to by many monuments and buildings.  In 1876 the Ulster Railway became part of the new Great Northern Railway (GNR), which took over the N&A in 1879 and the CK&A in 1911. take you to a Wikipedia article regarding that parish. Armagh Gaol was the primary women's prison in Northern Ireland. Data Collections; Sorted by Armagh Census & Electoral Rolls. During the Troubles in Armagh, the violence was substantial enough for the city to be referred to by some as "Murder Mile". The median age was 42 years.
It appears to have been largely abandoned after the 1st century. You will receive a welcome message from the list administrator. As the seat of the Primate of All Ireland, Armagh was historically regarded as a city, and recognisably had the status by 1226. , Brian Boru, High King of Ireland, visited Armagh in 1004, acknowledging it as the head church of Ireland and bestowing it a large sum of gold. On Census day (27 March 2011) there were 14,777 people living in Armagh (5871 households), accounting for 0.82% of the NI total, representing an increase of 1.3% on the Census 2001 population of 14,590. There were 7.1% of families and 10.9% of the population living below the poverty line, including 20.0% of under eighteens and 6.9% of those over 64. The Rev. Another Presbyterian church was built in 1905 in Seward, about 3 miles south. It had a population of 14,777 people in the 2011 Census, making it the least-populated city in Ireland and the fifth smallest in the United Kingdom. When he was Minister for the Department for Regional Development, the then MLA Danny Kennedy had indicated plans to restore the railway from Armagh station to Portadown.. Made shire ground in 1586 and included in the scheme for the Plantation of Ulster of the early 17th century, Armagh was colonized mainly by Protestant landowners from England. Armagh Ancestry Records on this web page This page is laid out in the following format. Armagh also holds the record for highest daily minimum temperature in Northern Ireland, at 20.6 °C (69.1 °F) on 31 July 1868. mail list. The prosperity of the Protestant clergy and gentry in the 18th century is reflected in the city’s many Georgian monuments and buildings. The talks take place monthly between September and June and are always on the second Wednesday of each month at 7:00 p,m. This name was later anglicised as Ardmagh, which eventually became Armagh.
 It is especially rich in 17th- and 18th-century books in English, including Dean Jonathan Swift's own copy of the first edition of his Gulliver's Travels with his manuscript corrections. The Wheatfield Presbyterian Church, later known simply as the Armagh Presbyterian Church, was started in 1786. The population density was 2,301.9 people per square mile (843.0/km²). His Armagh was at the heart of the kingdom of the Airthir, a part of the Airgíalla federation. Be on the lookout for your Britannica newsletter to get trusted stories delivered right to your inbox. Although a glance at the names of those returned for Co. Armagh - who represented the major secular interests in the county thoroughout the century - gives an impression of stability, in fact this was not the case, either politically or socially. The educational tradition continued with the foundation of the Royal School in 1608 and the Armagh Observatory in 1790. Murphy, Hughes, Wilson, Campbell, O'Hare, Smith, McCann, Donnelly, Watson and Quinn. The former district of Armagh was located south of Lough (lake) Neagh and bordered by the former districts of Dungannon to the northwest, Craigavon to the northeast, Banbridge to the east, Newry and Mourne to the southeast, and the Republic of Ireland to the southwest. The Education Authority (Southern) and the Southern Health and Social Care Trust have their headquarters in the city, which has a long reputation as an administrative centre. This ambition was finally fulfilled, albeit briefly, in the 1990s when Queen's University of Belfast opened an outreach centre in the former hospital building. Not until the 17th century did English influence become important in the county.  All averages refer to the 1981–2010 observation period.