It was submitted by … The construction and renovations were made with limestone extracted from the quarries of the nearby town of Hontoria de la Cantera. In addition, the environment of the door was renovated in the 18th century, in 1786, with a semicircular arch of large voussoirs and of the Baroque style, which replaced a Gothic mullion in which would be represented the figure of God the Father. The Cathedral of Saint Mary of Burgos (Spanish: Santa Iglesia Basílica Catedral Metropolitana de Santa María de Burgos) is a Catholic church dedicated to the Virgin Mary located in the historical center of the Spanish city of Burgos. Built over more than four centuries, the Cathedral bears testimony to the creative genius of architects, sculptors, and craftsmen throughout these periods. The glazing programme includes a famous Typological window (similar to examples at Sens and Canterbury), several hagiographic cycles, the story of the Old Testament patriarch, Joseph and symbolic depictions of the Apocalypse and Last Judgement. At the top of the tympanum appears another motif common to the Romanesque, the Deesis, with Christ enthroned as universal judge, with arms raised, showing the wounded of the side and flanked by the Virgin and St. John imploring mercy for souls of the poor. The North tower and its portal were subsequently rebuilt in a more contemporary style. The building was finally consecrated in 1324. It is in the High Gothic and Romanesque architectural styles. The side portals were rebuilt, due to their serious deterioration, in 1663 by Juan de Pobes. Criterion (ii): Burgos Cathedral has exerted, at different times throughout history, a considerable influence on the evolution of architecture and the arts.
WebGL must be enable, Post-Conflict and Post-Disaster Responses, World Heritage sites participate in Earth Hour 2013, World Heritage sites participate in Earth Hour, Ministerio de Educación, Cultura y Deporte (in Spanish), World Heritage Sites in Spain (Tourist Office of Spain), Astronomy and World Heritage Thematic Initiative, Human Evolution: Adaptations, Dispersals and Social Developments (HEADS), Initiative on Heritage of Astronomy, Science and Technology, Initiative on Heritage of Religious Interest, Natural World Heritage in the Congo Basin, Recommendation on the Historic Urban Landscape, Reducing Disasters Risks at World Heritage Properties, World Heritage and Sustainable Development, World Heritage and Sustainable Tourism Programme, World Heritage Centre’s Natural Heritage Strategy, World Heritage Earthen Architecture Programme (WHEAP). This portal was built in the 13th century and, with its iconography dedicated to the Virgin, it was considered the most important sculptural manifestation of Gothic art in Castile. Construction on the Cathedral began in 1221 and was completed in 1567.
The portals of Sarmental and la Coronería were constructed in 13th century Gothic style, while the portal de la Pellejería shows 16th century Plateresques-Renaissance influences. Their profuse ornamentation is reminiscent of Burgundian work. It dates from the end of the 15C-like the huge dome over the crossing, also with eight pinnacles, which was finished by Juan de Vallejo. The basilica has three chambers surrounded by thirteen … La construcción de la Catedral de Santa María de Burgos comenzó en el siglo XIII, al mismo tiempo que la de las grandes catedrales francesas de la región de París, y finalizó en los siglos XV y XVI. The project is located in Burgos, Burgos, Castile-Leon, Castilla y León, Spain.The architectural style is gothic and plateresque. Less known as Sacramental Door, this door, opened in the southern transept and looking out to the Plaza del Rey San Fernando, which is accessed saving a steep staircase, was built approximately 1230 and 1240.  This design, with its distinctive triangular cross section, was subsequently copied at Toledo Cathedral and in the choir at Le Mans. All rights reserved. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00004-011-0057-5, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00004-011-0104-2, Login
Its design is not known, but it is supposedly Romanesque and of the type of contemporary works (of the Abbey of Santo Domingo de Silos, of the Monastery of San Pedro de Arlanza of San Martín de Tours de Frómista or the Cathedral of Jaca). Apart from the axial chapel, Bourges Cathedral retains most of its original ambulatory glass, which dates from about 1215 (around the same time as Chartres Cathedral). What is certain is the influence of the sculpture of the Cathedral of Amiens in the masterly Burgalese door. Descending the stairs to the Plaza de Santa María, one comes in front of the western facade of the cathedral, inspired by the facade of the cathedrals of Paris and Reims. The date when construction began is unknown, although a document of 1195 recording expenditure on rebuilding works suggests that construction was already underway by that date. The present Cathedral was built as a replacement for a mid-11th-century structure, traces of which survive in the crypt.
The clock was badly damaged by fire in 1986; after a complete restoration, the clock was reinstalled in 1994 with a replica mechanism. [clarification needed]. The clock's bells chime on the quarter hour, and chime the Salve Regina on the hour. Their fine fretwork definitely shaped the silhouette of the Burgos cathedral. The Burgos Cathedral is located in the historical centre of the Spanish city of the same name, in the Autonomous Community of Castilla y León, in the northern Iberian Peninsula. The installation of ornamental windows following models and old techniques, represented the end of the restoration. The cathedral is dedicated to Saint Stephen and is the seat of the Archbishop of Bourges. Burgos city has 180,000 inhabitants and is situated in the north of Spain. The grilles separating the transept from the choir are ornate wrought metal in Castilian-Aragonese style. Bourges Cathedral covers a surface of 5,900 square metres (7,100 sq yd). The site occupied by the present cathedral, in what was once the northeastern corner of the Gallo-Roman walled city, has been the site of the city's main church at least since Carolingian times and probably since the foundation of the bishopric in the 3rd century. 15th century: Alonso de Caragena becomes bishop at Burgos. The cathedral was located just at the point where the slope of the hill, presided over by the Castle of Burgos, begins to rise. Burgos Cathedral is a rib vault and cathedral that was built from 1221 until 1280. Description is available under license CC-BY-SA IGO 3.0. Descending the stairs to the Plaza de Santa María, one comes in front of the western facade of the cathedral, inspired by the facade of the cathedrals of Paris and Reims. In the side jambs are carved six figures, after the rest of the portal, four of which represent Moses, Aaron, Saint Peter and Paul the Apostle; the other two are not easily identifiable. The construction was initiated at the front and at the presbytery, where the founding bishop was buried. How tall is Burgos – 1,87m. You should bear this in mind in case you travel in winter to avoid visiting during the evenings. Burgos information. The “Papamoscas” is one of the most famous items in the Cathedral. It has four entrances. And on this site, expanded through the demolition of neighboring houses, with donations by the Bishop Marino, rose a new Gothic cathedral. These are elements of the flamboyant Gothic which gives the cathedral its unmistakable profile. Facebook Wikipedia. I’ve been studying in Burgos for five year and up until yesterday, I hadn’t seen the Cloister of the Cathedral of Burgos: simple amazing. Burgos Social Profiles/Links. He originated from Cologne (as Johan von Köln). The main façade also has two further doors, and these have bas-reliefs by Juan Poves (1653). Its history harks back to 1221, when the first stone was laid on the site of the old Romanesque Cathedral, thanks to the driving Average customer review Score for The Burgos cathedral.
The first stone of the new cathedral was laid on June 20, 1221 in the presence of the promoters of the cathedral: the king Ferdinand III of Castile "the Saint" and Bishop Maurice of Burgos, bishop of the Burgalese diocese since 1213.
Attached to the mullions are twelve crowned statues alluding to the Castilian royalty and, attached to the spandrels of the arches, thurifer angels. Outside the scope of the new cloister only was essential way reformed, after 1800, the chapel of the Santo Cristo or of Our Lady of the Remedies, located in the west of the old cloister.
Construction on the cathedral in Burgos began in 1221 under Fernando III, the King of Castilla, and was dedicated in 1765 with the construction of the towers and the dome. This has the effect of reducing the conspicuous height differential between the floor of the church and the street. We estimate you will need to 2 hours to visit the Cathedral. The Special Plan sets out the regulations for this area, with strict guidelines for general, urban development and for the uses of buildings in this area. The choir stalls, which comprise 103 separate walnut stalls, are all inlaid with boxwood, a masterpiece by Felipe Bigarny, who also carved the white stone reliefs in the ambulatory behind the altar. It stands at the top of a long grand flight of steps between the sacristy and the cloisters. In the 18th century the construction began of the magnificent Churrigueresque Chapel of Saint Thecla (finished in 1734) (on the site of the original parish church), the Chapel of the Relics and the Sacristy. It is likely that during the restoration of the cloister was removed the stairwell that had subsequently been added, situated in the inner southwest corner of the same cloister.
The chapter takes possession of the new choir.
The four side aisles and central nave each have their own portal reflecting the scale of the spaces beyond. It stands at the top of a long grand flight of steps between the sacristy and the cloisters.